How long does a blog need to be? | Villa Marketers

captcha Please leave this field empty.

How long does a blog need to be?

Home Forum Marketing How long does a blog need to be?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of janet bartoli jbartoli 8 months, 1 week ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Jerry
    jerry
    Participant

I am about to write my first blog. I’m a little intimidated by it but I know I have to start but to be honest, as I began to sit down to get my thoughts together, I had a simple thought come into my head. How long does a blog need to be? It might sound silly but I’m not sure how long it really needs to be to make it interesting?

Profile photo of Amy Ochoa
    Amy Ochoa
    Participant

Jerry –

I manage the blog for LeisureLink and I understand your hesitation. I recommend each post be 150-300 words. If you have a longer story cut it into multiple posts that is easily consumable in one sitting.

Here are some additional pointers:

1) Make sure to select a keyword(s) for each post. It can be the same keyword for multiple posts. (example: condos in myrtle beach) Make sure to incorporate the keyword into your post 2-3 times.

2) Titles should be no more than 7 words (40 characters)

3) Make sure to have a good image. (never pull from Google directly) Make sure you are using a copyright free image. I’ve been fined $1200 for using a Getty image on a blog in the past. Don’t risk it. Make sure they are photos you’ve taken yourself or had your guests take and provided permission for using.

4) Link to other pages on your site or to other blogs throughout each post.

5) Link to other credible sites like restaurants, TripAdvisor, reputable tour companies.

6) Use titles like “Top 3 Reasons” so that people know what to expect and that it’s easily digestible.

Hope that helps.

-Amy

Profile photo of janet bartoli
    jbartoli
    Participant

Hi Jerry – I realize this is a very late response to your question, assuming you’ve already gotten started by now, I would recommend you test out what seems to engage your visitors most? Is it longer form content (500-1000 words, which also does really well from an SEO standpoint) or shorter Question and Answer type content? I would also try answering a question you get most often and see if that spurs on even more ideas.

There are no hard and fast rules to blogging, have fun with it and make sure you provide the type of content your visitors are looking for. That always rules above most all other recommendations.

Good Luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

29 FREE & CHEAP TOOLS TO DEVELOP YOUR INDEPENDENCE AND BRING IN BOOKINGS!

FREE DOWNLOAD - GET THE BREAKAWAY KIT NOW - ($49 VALUE)

Don’t worry! We don’t spam :)